Favorite Time Travel Movie

Well, which is your favorite time travel movie and why? Also, what parameters should a time travel movie satisfy to be great? 

I personally like the first Back To The Future movie for it's story and witty dialogue.The first movie avoids very complex plots and keeps the number of paradoxes to a minimum. 

A good time travel movie according to me would be one with an engaging story, less paradoxes complete with a good sprinkling of physics jargon. :P 

I wouldn't say I've watched a lot of time travel movies, only Looper and Edge of Tomorrow [which has time leap, not time travel]. Personally, I like Looper because of its complicated plot and dramatic ending.

Steins;Gate is the best series about time travel, you should watch it, I would choose the anime over any movie.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Puss in Boots said:

I never said it was

On 2/4/2016 at 6:09 PM, Master Flap said:

Well, which is your favorite time travel movie and why? Also, what parameters should a time travel movie satisfy to be great? 

I personally like the first Back To The Future movie for it's story and witty dialogue.The first movie avoids very complex plots and keeps the number of paradoxes to a minimum. 

A good time travel movie according to me would be one with an engaging story, less paradoxes complete with a good sprinkling of physics jargon. :P 

1 hour ago, Frog_LQ said:

I wouldn't say that :P. You just gotta be OK with not knowing what you don't know and you'l be fine :P.

THAT WAS ME. I only said that because that's what everyone told me, and I was like "I'm not studying physics just to watch a movie" and they were like "But you're not going to understand what's going on!!". I understood what was going on, just not why or how. 

7 minutes ago, Insider said:

THAT WAS ME. I only said that because that's what everyone told me, and I was like "I'm not studying physics just to watch a movie" and they were like "But you're not going to understand what's going on!!". I understood what was going on, just not why or how. 

I know some people who are like "the movie is great, it's physics are so accurate!" I'm like "Star Wars physics are accurate enough for me, I really don't care about that part of it." :P

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2016 at 8:28 AM, Frog_LQ said:

I know some people who are like "the movie is great, it's physics are so accurate!" I'm like "Star Wars physics are accurate enough for me, I really don't care about that part of it." :P

Actually Star Wars physics is not accurate at all. When we see ships zooming by in space, we can actually HEAR them. We can also hear the shots being fired. (There's no air in space and the concept of sound is irrelevant in space). I think that's one area where Interstellar outperforms Star Wars. The physics. But the story of Star Wars is much better than Interstellar.. I mean, I find the Interstellar story a bit too extravagant. 

Here's a scene from another great time travel movie (thanks to @Archie for reminding me about this)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Master Flap said:

Actually Star Wars physics is not accurate at all. When we see ships zooming by in space, we can actually HEAR them. We can also hear the shots being fired. (There's no air in space and the concept of sound is irrelevant in space). I think that's one area where Interstellar outperforms Star Wars. The physics. But the story of Star Wars is much better than Interstellar.. I mean, I find the Interstellar story a bit too extravagant. 

I know they're not accurate at all. But it's accurate enough for me :P.

Interstellar is probably one of the greatest movies of all time.

I also really enjoyed the entire BTTF series (especially the second one). Looper was brilliant. I liked the most recent Terminator movie. Project Almanac is decent. The Longaliers, if that counts. Continuum and Terra Nova are two great time travel TV shows.

A good time travel movie to me takes itself seriously and is scientifically accurate. I prefer Multiverse theory/alternate timeline logic over "the future is overwritten" etc. As far as human elements go, I think BTTF did a great job with their first movie on capturing the raw mystery and uniqueness of time travel, how weird it was for Marty to see the past... That's a very beneficial element. I also think time travel should be a little spooky. Not like, ghost spooky, but just because it's so paranormal, it should hold some specialty. BTTF did this well, versus say, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (another great movie)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, K2D2 said:

Interstellar is probably one of the greatest movies of all time.

I also really enjoyed the entire BTTF series (especially the second one). Looper was brilliant. I liked the most recent Terminator movie. Project Almanac is decent. The Longaliers, if that counts. Continuum and Terra Nova are two great time travel TV shows.

A good time travel movie to me takes itself seriously and is scientifically accurate. I prefer Multiverse theory/alternate timeline logic over "the future is overwritten" etc. As far as human elements go, I think BTTF did a great job with their first movie on capturing the raw mystery and uniqueness of time travel, how weird it was for Marty to see the past... That's a very beneficial element. I also think time travel should be a little spooky. Not like, ghost spooky, but just because it's so paranormal, it should hold some specialty. BTTF did this well, versus say, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (another great movie)

I believe BTTF used alternate timelines to explain time travel. Like how they created 3 versions of 1985 (the original one, the one where he has the coolest parents ever and the one with Biff as his step dad :P) but I don't understand how the grandfather paradox was applicable (or rather, not applicable) in the first movie. Marty's existence was threatened when he changed 1955 in the original movie. There's a bit of inconsistency there. :P Also, personally, I don't like the new 1985 he created in the first movie. I mean, the parents who raised him since he was born (even if they were super lame) were no longer his parents. Instead, 2 people who he just met the previous (or 30 years ago?) were now his parents, 

Thanks for the list of movies. I hadn't even heard of some of them. I'll get down to watching some soon. 

2 hours ago, Master Flap said:

I believe BTTF used alternate timelines to explain time travel. Like how they created 3 versions of 1985 (the original one, the one where he has the coolest parents ever and the one with Biff as his step dad :P) but I don't understand how the grandfather paradox was applicable (or rather, not applicable) in the first movie. Marty's existence was threatened when he changed 1955 in the original movie. There's a bit of inconsistency there. :P Also, personally, I don't like the new 1985 he created in the first movie. I mean, the parents who raised him since he was born (even if they were super lame) were no longer his parents. Instead, 2 people who he just met the previous (or 30 years ago?) were now his parents, 

Thanks for the list of movies. I hadn't even heard of some of them. I'll get down to watching some soon. 

The Langoliers had a big influence on my love for scifi so don't skip that one! I agree on how confusing the inconsistencies in BTTF Time Travel are, I've thought this before. I understand the parents thing and would say the "cool parents" are still the same parents as before, just with all the negativity lifted out of their life. Deep down they were always truly these cool people, they just buried their own interests and happiness over time under the weight of regret and disappointment. I didn't mind the timeline changing.