Pi vs Tau- revisted

So again, this is a revisit of the debate. Personally I rest on pi for many reasons 

Tau Argument #1

How many radians are in a quarter of a circle?

Pi/2 or Tau/4?

Admittedly, Tau has a slight advantage but look at pi when it comes to areas

What is a area of a 1/8 of a circle? 1/8pi or tau/16?

areas.png

(Just like Tau, Pi also steals the pie)

I will personally take the time to rip apart and debunk every tau-lover's argument.

Edited by Chain Rule
41 minutes ago, Light said:

Is that all? This is just really picky... Tau is way too useful to justify Pi by this little annoyance.

Not at all...I said I wanted to hear tauist's arguments, by virtue of your debates.

" I will personally take the time to rip apart and debunk every tau-lover's argument"

See?

Tau is definitely more useful than Pi. But to make the switch will be difficult because Pi is used conventionally. Tau is also easier to learn than Pi. 

Tau is more fundamentally defined than Pi. Pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter, but Tau is the ratio of circumference to radius. Radius is more fundamental than Diameter. QED! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Master Flap said:

Tau is definitely more useful than Pi. But to make the switch will be difficult because Pi is used conventionally. Tau is also easier to learn than Pi. 

Tau is more fundamentally defined than Pi. Pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter, but Tau is the ratio of circumference to radius. Radius is more fundamental than Diameter. QED! 

Q.E.D?

There are numerous reasons to use C/D instead of C/R.

This definition is consistent with the area definition.

In practice, the only way to measure the radius of a circle is to first measure the diameter and divide by 2.

Why look at a ratio where you go all the way around the circle yet only HALF way across it? 

------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, Light said:

Since light has a myriad of reasons to go through..

1st reason cited-

Because there a myriad of equations with Tau we need it.

Uhhhh... there are also a bunch of equations where Pi is needed and Tau is impractical.

The Gaussian integral

\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2}\,\mathrm d x = \sqrt{\pi}

---------------------------------------

The buckling formula

F =\frac{\pi^2EI}{L^2}

------------------------------------------

The Cauchy Distribution

f(x; x_0,\gamma) = \frac{1}{\pi\gamma \left[1 + \left(\frac{x - x_0}{\gamma}\right)^2\right]} = { 1 \over \pi \gamma } \left[ { \gamma^2 \over (x - x_0)^2 + \gamma^2  } \right],

----------------------------------------

Cumulative Distribution formula

F(x; x_0,\gamma)=\frac{1}{\pi} \arctan\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\gamma}\right)+\frac{1}{2}

14 hours ago, Chain Rule said:

Q.E.D?

There are numerous reasons to use C/D instead of C/R.

This definition is consistent with the area definition.

In practice, the only way to measure the radius of a circle is to first measure the diameter and divide by 2.

Why look at a ratio where you go all the way around the circle yet only HALF way across it? 

------------------------------------------------

Since light has a myriad of reasons to go through..

1st reason cited-

Because there a myriad of equations with Tau we need it.

Uhhhh... there are also a bunch of equations where Pi is needed and Tau is impractical.

The Gaussian integral

\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2}\,\mathrm d x = \sqrt{\pi}

---------------------------------------

The buckling formula

F =\frac{\pi^2EI}{L^2}

------------------------------------------

The Cauchy Distribution

f(x; x_0,\gamma) = \frac{1}{\pi\gamma \left[1 + \left(\frac{x - x_0}{\gamma}\right)^2\right]} = { 1 \over \pi \gamma } \left[ { \gamma^2 \over (x - x_0)^2 + \gamma^2  } \right],

----------------------------------------

Cumulative Distribution formula

F(x; x_0,\gamma)=\frac{1}{\pi} \arctan\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\gamma}\right)+\frac{1}{2}

Maybe you should make your arguments with statements that he can understand. :P 

BTW, Pi is not essential for those. You might make the equations messy, but replacing pi with tau/2 won't hurt anyone. :P Besides, I'm pretty sure we can equations that are Tau fundamental. 

We have our preferences, I agree. You can come up with reasons for your argument, I can come up with refutes. You can come up with counter statements. We can be here all day. :P Let's not waste our time doing that. How about we all find the next largest prime number? XD 

1 hour ago, Master Flap said:

BTW, Pi is not essential for those. You might make the equations messy, but replacing pi with tau/2 won't hurt anyone. :P Besides, I'm pretty sure we can equations that are Tau fundamental. 

We have our preferences, I agree. You can come up with reasons for your argument, I can come up with refutes. You can come up with counter statements. We can be here all day. :P Let's not waste our time doing that. How about we all find the next largest prime number? XD 

Unfortunately the tau people seem to think Statisitics has 2pi everywhere! Highly exaggerated anyhow.

Replacing Pi with Tau/2 just makes some formulas more complicated..

2 hours ago, Master Flap said:

Mersenne prime. Otherwise it would be too much work.

1 hour ago, Master Flap said:

Yup. Let's come up with a super efficient way of finding prime numbers. Then we can beat Mersenne Prime Search. Who's with me? @Light @Chain Rule All other math nerds here?

Not happening haha. We could use my prime checker Java program, but I'm pretty sure they have a much better one running at the universities. The guy who found the latest one was allowed since a year or two to use all 200 or so computers at his university whenever they weren't being used to automatically keep searching.

10 minutes ago, Light said:

Not happening haha. We could use my prime checker Java program, but I'm pretty sure they have a much better one running at the universities. The guy who found the latest one was allowed since a year or two to use all 200 or so computers at his university whenever they weren't being used to automatically keep searching.

Can I have the source code of your program? I know that with current techniques, we stand no chance. But what if we brainstormed and found better techniques?