Programming Forum Updates & Possible Competition

Interest Survey   

9 members have voted

1. 1. I've participated/ competed in

• Hackathon(s)
    • CTFs (Capture the Flag)
    • Other programming event/ competition (please specify)
    • Other security event/ competition (please specify)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. I would be interested in participating/ competing in a

• Hackathon/ CS event
    • CTF/ Cyber security event
    • Other (please specify)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. My CS/ Cyber Security experience

• Already possess or currently working on a formal degree
    • Workforce experience (currently have or used to have a job in the field)
    • High school/ self education
    • Other experience (please specify)
    • None to very little experience, but I'm excited and want to learn

Hey everyone, as many of you probably noticed, the Programming forum has been changed to the Programming/ Technology Forum as we wanted to encourage discussions in the IT and general technology field beyond just programming. This could include anything from current events of security flaws, to innovations in computing, to any new technology you want to share.

Recently I've been considering putting together a DCC team to participate in some online events and competitions, they'd be mostly for fun but also have possible awards and prize money if we do good enough.

What we do could be anything from CTFs (Capture The Flags) to Hackathons, to any other events or competitions you guys would like to do. We're not limited to only one type of event, and I really want to hear what people desire to try and have experience in, so please fill out the above poll. 

If we have enough interest we can start a team and find some online practices, and figure out what specific events we want to participate in. Thoughts?

@Jake1702 @Vladimir Putin @Master Flap @Frog_LQ @Agent P (Tagged people I've already talked to about this or who I think might be interested in participating)

• Like 2

Might have to wait until September to do anything. I need to change my laptop's motherboard but the spare one is at home and I'm not going back until September. Things have great timing for me. 

Uhhh... scratch that. I'm stupid at times and I forgot about removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS settings to default allowing it to boot. Oopsies.

Edited by Jake1702
meh stoopeed
  • 3 weeks later...

@Jake1702 @Master Flap @Vladimir Putin @Agent P @Candy @Nepetalactone @Frog_LQ

Sorry for the short notice.

There's a CTF going on this weekend, anyone interested in participating?

If there's many people I might do a little CTF crash course on Friday.

https://mitrestemctf.org/

Keep an eye on the Discord, I'll post updates there

On 9/15/2017 at 5:41 AM, FOX545 said:

Unfortunately I won't be able to join this time, I'll be traveling. Hopefully next time though

• 3 months later...

Wow I got so caught up with school I forgot about this. I'll be much more free after January.

Are you guys still interested? @Frog_LQ @Internet Service Provider @Vladimir Putin @Master Flap @Agent P @Ajit Pai @Candy

I can create a channel in the Discord server if there's interest so we have a better place to discuss it

2 hours ago, FOX545 said:

Wow I got so caught up with school I forgot about this. I'll be much more free after January.

Are you guys still interested? @Frog_LQ @Internet Service Provider @Vladimir Putin @Master Flap @Agent P @Ajit Pai @Candy

I can create a channel in the Discord server if there's interest so we have a better place to discuss it

Yeah, sure! Not sure how free I'll be then but I can definitely come online on weekends. 

On 9/15/2017 at 5:41 AM, FOX545 said:

That seemed interesting. What was it? 

9 hours ago, FOX545 said:

Yes, although I'm pretty busy until like April. I'm not sure how many events I could actually take part in

3 hours ago, Internet Service Provider said:

I don't actually have programming experience. Also, from January I'll NO LONGER be free. School ruins everything.

Usually only one out of the 5-6 categories in CTF's are really heavy on programming

On 1/2/2018 at 8:40 AM, Internet Service Provider said:

Well unfortunately school might still get in the way.

Something or the other will always ruin things... don't let them. After school, you'll have college. After that, a job. After that kids. After that, old age. You should not let anything stop you from doing what you love. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Master Flap said:

Something or the other will always ruin things... don't let them. After school, you'll have college. After that, a job. After that kids. After that, old age. You should not let anything stop you from doing what you love. 

Difficult to do when you literally get no time for anything else.

On 1/6/2018 at 0:09 AM, Internet Service Provider said:

Difficult to do when you literally get no time for anything else.

Trust me. I've been in school and know what you mean. I have 50 times more stuff to do now and I now I realise how time is always there. Of course, it is difficult. But it's worth it. 

• Like 3